Disclaimer: I do not have years of whisky and whiskey tasting behind me but in the short 4 years that I have been tasting whiskey I have managed to taste quite a lot.
Due to this passion and my "sharing" about the whiskey that I enjoy I have compiled what I am calling "The List".
If you are claiming to enjoy tasting whiskey and you want to be hospitable to a whiskey novice or connoisseur alike then you should have tasted or have at least some of these whiskeys in your cupboard.
If you find an error here or wish to add your thoughts, send me an email. Please note the list is also about value for money and shouldn't break the bank.
I do not understand why a person could not spend an extra $5 for a better whiskey. The whiskeys below should all range between $20 and $30.
Here is what you should have in your cupboard:
- Glen Fiddich 12 year old
- Glen Livet Founders Reserve
- Glen Morangie 10 year old
- Ben Riach Curiositas 10 year old
- Knob Creek Bourbon
- West Cork 10 year old
- 3 Ships Bourbon Cask Finish (Its a South African whiskey and very sought after)
- Ardbeg 10 year old
- Akashi Red
- Cardhu 12 year old
Other interesting stuff
- Scottish, Japanese & Indian whiskey is spelt "whisky" as they still produce whisky the traditional Scottish way.
- A Single Malt whiskey is still a blend but all the whiskey that is blended comes from a single distillery.
- Cask strength whiskeys are not filtered or watered down and have a higher percent alcohol (can be up to 70%)
- Bourbon whiskey is made from corn not barley and doesn't necessarily need to be aged a long time.